GUIDs (was Re: SQL backend for GnuCash 2)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 30 10:13:33 EST 2006

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

>> Sorry, what I meant was that I didn't understand what you meant by
>> "small add-on"..  I don't know GDA well-enough to know what that means
>> or how that would work.
>>
>> > Phil
>
> I haven't thought this through entirely, but these are my first
> thoughts.  In order to specify the provider, we'll need the data URL to
> be sqlite://... or mysql://... or ...  The current backend architecture
> is already plugin.  Therefore, if I build a core backend built around
> libgda, then small wrapper backends for each sql db type, the core
> libgda piece can handle most of the heavy lifting, and the wrappers can
> adjust things as required (connection string, data type
> differences, ...).

Ahh, so what you mean is that we'd have a "libgncgda" and then we'd
implement a "libgncmod-backend-sqlite" and "libgncmod-backend-mysql"
and "libgncmod-backend-pg" which all link against libgncgda?  Or
perhaps libgncgda would have multiple QOF backends, one for each of
SQLite, MySQL, and PG?  *ponders*

So long as we can still have most of the code be shared, I suppose
that works..