GUIDs (was Re: SQL backend for GnuCash 2)

Daniel Espinosa esodan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 13:45:42 EST 2006

2006/10/30, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
> Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:
>
> >> Sorry, what I meant was that I didn't understand what you meant by
> >> "small add-on"..  I don't know GDA well-enough to know what that means
> >> or how that would work.

> > I haven't thought this through entirely, but these are my first
> > thoughts.  In order to specify the provider, we'll need the data URL to
> > be sqlite://... or mysql://... or ...  The current backend architecture
> > is already plugin.  Therefore, if I build a core backend built around
> > libgda, then small wrapper backends for each sql db type, the core
> > libgda piece can handle most of the heavy lifting, and the wrappers can
> > adjust things as required (connection string, data type
> > differences, ...).
>
> Ahh, so what you mean is that we'd have a "libgncgda" and then we'd
> implement a "libgncmod-backend-sqlite" and "libgncmod-backend-mysql"
> and "libgncmod-backend-pg" which all link against libgncgda?  Or
> perhaps libgncgda would have multiple QOF backends, one for each of
> SQLite, MySQL, and PG?  *ponders*
>
> So long as we can still have most of the code be shared, I suppose
> that works..

Well, if you have a "preconfigured" DSN in gda (may using the
graphical tool in libgnomedb) you just need to pass the "name" of the
DSN, all the parameters is pre-difined when you create the datasource,
even you can test and inspect the DSN using a GUI in libgnomedb.

Then you can create a connection to a DB, and pass to GC that DSN
using a sintax like: "gda://database", then if you avoid any specific
SQL's or use just the API in gda you can access, read/write, and
update any data in the database, even this is true for Oracle, MS SQL
Server, MDB or any provider supported by GDA.

> > Phil
>
> -derek
>
> --

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los
cuates: LIBRE)