GnuCash 2.0 Official Linux Installer

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Wed Sep 6 01:05:51 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 03:44, Rykel wrote:
[...]
> So I hope that GnuCash 2.0 Linux version could use the defacto Linux
> Installer available from http://www.autopackage.org. Using the official
> Linux installer is also a great idea because then, GnuCash can be installed
> as User, rather than Root.
[...]
Well, I'm not a Gnucash developer, but I don't think that using autopackage
under Linux is as good an idea as you propose: As far as I understand it
either needs all depending packages to be autopackaged as well or to simply
include all depending libraries/tools.

GnuCash depends on a bunch of other libraries/tools, so including all of them
in a Gnucash autopackage would take quite a bit of space...

Anyway, most Linux distributions already have a nice way of handling
dependencies (e.g. apt, dpkg, rpm), so with normal Linux systems you wouldn't
gain too much.

It wouldn't even save the Gnucash packagers from having to provide rpm/deb
packages because most Linux users don't use autopackage but rather their
systems packaging mechanisms. So creating an autopackage would be additional
work which nobody seems to volunteer to take over...

But maybe I'm totally wrong...
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/