GObject in GC implementation Plan

Daniel Espinosa esodan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:10:57 EDT 2007

2007/4/12, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org>:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 09:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > "Daniel Espinosa" <esodan at gmail.com> writes:
> > > I have some ideas, to add this feature:
> > >
> > > - Add a GdaDataModel interface to QofCollection object
> > > - Try to create a GdaServerProvider for the actual XML file
> > > - Create a wrapper library to allow other applications access the XML
> > > file (or even the GDA backend) using GDA
> >
> > Again, I dont think we need any of this, because we already HAVE
> > all of this.  (well, except for GDA, but Phil Longstaff is working
> > on that in the gda-dev branch).
>
> We don't have any of this, as it's described.  Phil is working on
> GnuCash using GDA, not wraping GnuCash as a GDA data-source.
>

> I don't think the QofCollection or the "XML file" is the right thing to
> expose, exactly ... in all integration cases, I think there's a set of
> application constraints that need to be enforced; binding to the XML or
> raw data is insufficient.  Note that this doesn't preclude some use of
> XML as the integration point.
>

> I can see the abstract utility of having GnuCash data exposed via GDA,
> but I note that no one has asked for that specifically ...

Yes me! and ask Phil, he'll find very usefull to have access the data
using GdaDataModel becouse he can use the powerfull GdaQuery object to
get the data asked by QofQuery.

I want to develope an applet (I don't have any experience on it, but I
want to try) where you can quickly add a record to GC in a simple UI
whitout call GC at all.

Even I want to try over share data to Gnumeric, it uses can GDA, then
you can get data from GC and create powerfull analisys tools.

> it feels a
> bit like a solution in search of a problem.  There are some known
> integration requests (problems) that it could solve, so maybe it works
> out, but the focus should be on solving the problems.

I have a lot of ideas, when start use GC as user I love it, then I
tried to allow GC to use a database using GDA, but Phil starts first
:-) Good!, then when tried to develope the Backend find a lot of
problems to understand QofQuery, then I thought that it was better if
it could be a GObject and much better if exist the way to QofQuery
class be a GdaQuery it selft, then I felt to try to make GObject the
whole QOF objects.

Let me sit here, a point where I see a lot of work in from to convert
QOF to GObject, and after the first try, I know that QOF will never be
a "full" GObject. That's why I propouse to create a new library where:

* wraps the actual QOF and GC objects and create a new Full GObject API
* slowlly move the code from QOF and GC objects to the new library's objects
* Slowly move the GC UI code to use the new library

Of course that's my ideas, and that's why you feel I don't understand,
and don't follow your sugestions, is just I found better to create a
new library, but as any project I need to make consensus before do any
thing (and I did because I'm not working the branch after I have the
consensus).

I need your help in any task, I'm alone and I'm a simple voluntary
with out any other help than me; I don't want to begin a separate
project.