calendar proposal WAS: 2.1.0 Release

Nathan Buchanan nbinont at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 22:32:23 EDT 2007

On 4/15/07, Chris Lyttle <chris at wilddev.net> wrote:

> <snip>
> I guess christian already answered most of your questions. Do you have
> access to sourceforge to upload the binaries?

yes

Anything else you might
> want access to? If you would like I can email you what time I'm
> preparing the release before I do it so you know to grab it.

My first reaction to this was, yah that would be great if you could e-mail
me...but after thinking about this further it sounds like we might be able
to do it better. We are already have
(1) the patches list where I can see the revision used (eventually there
will be tags too, I understand)
(2) the release schedule that gives me the expected timeframe
(3) the release announcement

I think the real roadblock for me is that I don't usually catch 1 or 2
because they are out of my normal usage pattern, so I thought - How can I
get them in my normal usage pattern? Well I use email and a calendar
application. We have integration with e-mail - the mailing lists and
possibly a change notification on the wiki. These all work well for events
happening *now* but are relatively ineffective compared to a calendar for
planning *future* events. So after my somewhat long-winded intro:

What does everyone think about setting up a shared calendar for project
planning? A good example of this is google calendar or to a somewhat lesser
degree lotus notes and MS outlook. We could go out and just use say, google
calendar or we could host the shared calendar ourselves.

google calendar - easy to setup (minimal setup required), but everyone that
wants to modify the calendar must get a google account (doesn't have to be a
google/gmail address). viewing the calendar would not require a google
account and could be done using the software application of your choice.

do it ourselves - I have very little clue how to go about this, though it
would provide the ultimate in customization

Using a calendar will allow better awareness of the schedule by allowing
tighter integration with existing technologies. Example:
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=53qq5pinr1oda4qlh9mijcv22d58kiq8%40import.calendar.google.com

Thoughts? Objections? Suggestions? If this seems like a good idea, I'd like
to work with everyone who sets the release schedule to get this going.

Thanks,
Nathan

Sorry about the period, as christian mentioned it was an error in the