ChangeLog policy needed (was: Release problems)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 17 11:19:28 EDT 2007

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

> I still propose to discard the 2006 manual ChangeLog completely and
> only keep the auto-generated one.

I'd prefer we kept the manual 2006 ChangeLog because I know there
ARE entries in it that aren't in the auto-generated version.  But
for 2007 and on we should auto-generate.

> As for 2007 and the future, we need to decide:
> - Which branches should be used by the ChangeLog.svn rule?

I don't know.  I wish there were a way to tell SVN to pull in
branch commit log messages when branches are merged.  :(

> - Which filename should the auto-generated Changelog have? I propose simply
> ChangeLog.
> - How should the generation be included in the release process? As a
> dependency of "make dist"? Probably not (testing etc). I propose to add this
> as an extra step for the packager, like "make generated-ChangeLog".
>
> Comments? Proposals? Flames?

This all sounds fine to me.