Intro + a bug

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Aug 8 12:16:21 EDT 2007

>[[Maybe a bit off-topic for this mailinglist, but I thought it could give some
>additional background]]
>
>... and some are already. A fine example is The  Gimp (http://www.gimp.org),
>an alternative image manipulation program for Photoshop. Whether it truly can
>replace Photoshop is a long debate, but in itself it's a very good image
>manipulation program. Originally written for *nix, but also running on
>Windows for quite some time now. The Gimp also uses GConf and as such uses
>the same common directories.
>
>Regards,
>
>Geert

Not "off topic" at all (open source projects need to help each other out)

If "the Gimp" shares this problem (inability of the gconf routines to
cope with ALL legal Windows directory names) I haven't seen it reported
-- say from when "the Open CD" folks were testing "the Gimp". But this
may well be the consequence of the rarity of Windows users chosing an
account name with an asterisk in it. Can anybody here identify the
address of the team working on "gnome for Windows" because they should
be made aware that there is a problem affecting their project.

The implication is that the problem isn't FIXABLE (can't make GnuCash
work completely properly for all legal Windows user account names) but
that doesn't mean it should be "no action". One possibility would be for
the "first time" routine to check whether the directory it is being
asked to set up is "legally named" (as far a gnome is concerned) and if
not, temporarily pasues the process to explain the problem. Might
suggest that the user either:
1) abort (option provided) to allow the system administrator to allocate
another user account whose name would not be a problem (tell what the
"illegal" characters are). The Windows user would then use this other
account for GnuCash.
2) allow to proceed (option provided) warning the  what the user what
won't work (there may be more things than just being unable to save
preference changes. That might not be totally unacceptable while the
person LEARNS about GnuCash. An administrator can always later copy the
books to another user's data area.

Alternatively, if it is decided that account names that will cause
problems are so rare that not worth a coding effort, then at least
something in the "read me" for the Windows install. Yes I know people
tend not to read those until AFTER encountering difficulties, but if
they then look and see an explanation of "Problem with some legal
Windows account names" telling them what to do at least it won't be a
mystery.

Michael