Installing gdb

Stephen Grant Brown s_g_brown at bemail.com.au
Fri Aug 17 18:06:31 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have compiled and run gnucash under windows, but I have a startup problem.

On

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#gdb

I read

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gdb
In addition to Stack Trace, here are a few instructions on how to run gnucash under gdb on Windows:

  a.. Install "gdb" from mingw.org
  b.. Modify the installed "gnucash" script to call "exec gdb gnucash-bin.exe" instead of "exec gnucash-bin.exe" at the end
  c.. Then start gnucash, which will give you the gdb prompt
  d.. Type "run" at the gdb prompt.
  e.. Then provoke the crash and type "backtrace" or shorthand "bt" at the gdb prompt to obtain the backtrace, as explained on Stack Trace as well.
You can provide even better stack traces if you tell gdb where in memory dynamically loaded modules got mapped to, because otherwise function calls into those are only written as '??'. See here and here for a way to do this. To enter [ and ], use set editing off.

Can someone please give me more specific instrucions on how to install "gdb" from mingw.org?

Yours Sincerely Stephen Grant Brown