new to gnucash and I need to create a stable development environment

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 4 10:59:06 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 11:19:31PM -0600, Fredrick O Jackson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to developing on gnucash, so new in fact that I cannot seem to
> accomplish anything whatsoever. I need some basic advice on how to develop a
> custom invoice format. I am a user of debian and will package the customized
> version of gnucash in order that it can be installed on other debian
> systems.

what sort of customization?

> simply put, I create a source tree with 'apt-get source gnucash', I then
> modify a source file or two, I then build with 'debuild'. I then modify
> another source file and then try to build again. this fails. What must I do
> to rebuild a source tree?

packaging for debian is probably beyond the scope of this list (unless
Thomas Bushnell is watching).

> While I am not an expert in building debian packages, i feel certain that
> building a source tree into a package should be repeatable. I cannot seem to
> get gnucash to build (debuild) more than once. I get errors shown at the
> bottom of this message.

of course it should be repeatable. You are probably best served by
asking this question on the appropriate debian list. You could try
debian-user (many experts there) but you may be better served by a
list more focused on packaging like debian-mentors. Those folks will
be more familiar with the debian packaging tools.

.02