Some workaround for reducing rounding error in extreme currencies rates

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Dec 6 04:15:10 EST 2007

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007 19:47 schrieb Frank H. Ellenberger:
> in bugzilla are a few problems reported about currency handling. Today for
> me, I solved one of them.

Good. We're very happy to improve the currency handling, especially if someone
sends us patches.

Unfortunately I haven't quite understood what your *solution* here is.

> The price editor (...)
>
> But, ... if I press OK then, I get a rate of 0,000088. This is really not
> precise, the inversion would be 11363.63..

That's bad, yes.

> My conclusion is: do not use the price editor for currencies. Instead
> create and delete a dummy transaction to enter more precise exchange rates.
>
> So my first question is, are there any objections, that the price-editor
> does not use the same smart code as xfer-editor for currencies?

"objections"? I think this is just a bug in the price-editor. If you say the
xfer-editor has the correct code, the price-editor should use it as well.

> 2. should the conclusio be published anywhere?

As long as current gnucash has a bug here, you can file a bugzilla entry with
this text and your proposed solution.

Christian