PATCH: Advanced portfolio report revisions

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 6 13:40:46 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:37:50AM -0800, Segundo Bob wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West and Morrison J. Chang,
>
> Thanks for working on advanced-portfolio.scm.  You have greatly improved this report for our data.  But the report still handles one of our accounts incorrectly.  The attached TestFile contains only the account data that the report handles incorrectly.  TestFile does NOT contain any account numbers or other private data.  The release 2.2.1 advanced-porfolio report for this account puts numbers in all the columns (wrong numbers).  Andrew's versions of 2007-11-29 and 2007-12-03; and Morrison's version of 2007-11-28 are all the same for this account.  They leave four columns blank--but all the non-blank, non-zero columns are correct.
>
> We hope you find this test case useful, but we may be missing something obvious.  My wife and I began trying GnuCash less than a month ago.

It's extremely useful, thanks! You've got a goodly chunk of data
here. What we're seeing is an overflow condition because the average
basis calculation is un-rounded. So it just kind of gets out of
control. Not that if you change the basis method to FIFO or FILO, you
get numbers in every column :). Can you determine the correctness of
the results in that case?

Meanwhile I'll work some rounding into those calculations to keep
them from spiraling so out of control.

Thanks again for this Bob, it's very helpful.