Developing the documentation

Leom Burke leom at leomandlauren.plus.com
Wed Feb 14 09:59:01 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 07:43 -0700, Dave Herman wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:19 +0000, Leom Burke wrote:
> >     Hi Guys,
> > I am new to using gnucash and find it fantastic and i want to help
> > improve the project.
> > I am planning on working on the documentation to improve it for
other
> > new users.  I have the SVN trunk for the docs but the XML does not
seem
> > to be standardised - no tabs and the tags dont line up in any
editor.

> When the update to the "Tutorial & Concepts Guide" occurred last
> "spring" (Northern Hemisphere) there was an effort to standardize the
> format somewhat.  The format of the XML doesn't really impact the
user's
> view of the document.  I think that both (T&C Guide and Help) are
> displayed using YELP.

I appreciate that the XML doesn't impact on the viewer but it does
impact on the developer when trying to read code with no (or very
little) indentation!  I didn't mean to imply that the format was not
standard merely that the coding standards had lapsed slightly when
writing some of the pages (probably a hangover from adding bits "here
and there")

> > I would like to tweak the code slightly to improve the readability
for
> > new contributors by tabbing the tags properly...etc.  As this is a
> > rather large task i am asking if anyone minds me doing it first :).
>
> I'm currently working on a significant re-work of the Help document,
and
> would welcome any assist/review available. I am leaving for a "long
> weekend" so will be off-line until early next week.

I would be happy to assist with what you are doing even if that is
simply a review.  Perhaps we should talk next week.