Developing the documentation

Leom Burke leom at leomandlauren.plus.com
Wed Feb 14 10:05:29 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 09:55 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:19 +0000, Leom Burke wrote:
> > I am planning on working on the documentation to improve it for other
> > new users.  I have the SVN trunk for the docs but the XML does not seem
> > to be standardised - no tabs and the tags dont line up in any editor.
> > I would like to tweak the code slightly to improve the readability for
> > new contributors by tabbing the tags properly...etc.  As this is a
>
> The tags all line up fine.  What editor are you using?  What file are
> you looking at?

> (FWIW, I don't consider the use of the 'tab' character to be proper at
> all.)
I apologise as it appears to be the "wrap" on my editor that is throwing
things - if i turn this off then yes the tags line up fine although at 1
space intervals it makes if very difficult to "skim" down to the section
of interest.  Sorry - i was taught to use tabs - it could easily be
replaced with a standard of 4 spaces or something similar - the reason i
say this is because as i said above it is easier for a newbie to read
code that is well spaced out.

> > rather large task i am asking if anyone minds me doing it first :).  I
> > would then start a page-by-page analysis of the documentation as it
> > appears to be something that gets overlooked by the developers (i didn't
> > mean to offend anyone then) and needs someone to take stock and ensure
> > that it is fully up to date and flows correctly.
>
> No offense taken; we're all volunteers and we all contribute as much,
> and in the ways, we can ... and contributions are welcome! :)   Like all
> writing -- code and docs -- more time spent simplifying usually improves
> clarity, and is time well spent.

I will be trying to contribute as much as i can but i am still new to
Linux development and admit that it is a steep learning curve and i will
be learning a lot very quickly as well as making mistakes that some of
you may have to pick up on ;).  Apologies in advance for that :D.