Recommendations on managing inventory

Daniel Espinosa esodan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:55:46 EST 2007

In GnuCash exist an object to manage in a generic way Commodities,
actualy just some objects financial objects (bonds, currencies, funds,
NASDAQ), but if you see it could manage some kind of inventory, but
you need to inspect /src/engine/gnc-commodity.c/.h and create an
object derived from this object...

Actualy GnuCash use QOF as a object oriented base, I'm working into
base on GObject, then you may want to create an object using the
actual code.

I'm working in port to GObject, becouse I want an inventory system,
and export/import data from other applications using an API to access
the internal data in GnuCash, like GDA (www.gnome-db.org) does to
access databases, but this is an early development in
gobject-engine-dev branch.

2007/2/12, Shocky <shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net>:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 12:39, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > > Any general advice to get started? I'm guessing I'll have to get more
> > > familiar
> > > with the autoconf tools, beyond running the standard commands.
> > >
> > > Any pointers appreciated (but I already know to rtfm and google 8^).
> >
> > RTFM.
> > README
> > README.svn
> > The Gnucash.org website.
> > The Wiki...
> >
> > Quickly:
> >   pull from SVN
> >   ./autogen.sh
> >   ./configure ... --prefix=/opt/gnucash
> >   make
> >   make install
> >
> > > Shocky
>
> Thanks. The README and the docs it pointed to had a lot more useful info than
> I expected.
>
> I've realized that there's far too much to learn here to be able to extend it
> with an inventory subsystem in the time I have available (which isn't all
> that surprising, considering how much Gnucash does). I'll stick to what I
> know for now and build something using Postgresql and a suitable front-end
> (maybe Python). Then I'll look at extending Gnucash later on (and in some
> smaller steps).
>
> I noticed that Mandriva has a gnucash-sql package (at the 2.0.1 release
> level), which is described as an experimental Postgresql back-end for
> Gnucash. Any idea just how experimental it is? Having the data in Posgresql
> would provide other, possibly more flexible, ways to do custom reporting, and
> might help with integrating the inventory data. But I'd hate to gamble my
> bookkeeping data on a back-end that might mangle or lose it.
>
> Shocky
> --
> These are my opinions. Get your own.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los
cuates: LIBRE)