Google Summer of Code 2007?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 21 16:32:56 EST 2007

Quoting John Schmerge <john.schmerge at qlogic.com>:

> Is there a compelling reason to move to the GTK Tree viewer for the
> account register? The move to the new tree viewer in the 2.0.x series
> for the account selector in report option panels was a major regression
> in terms of usability, imho.
>
> -John

How has it been a regression?   Can you point me to the bugzilla
bugs about it?

As for why.. The current register is implemented as a Canvas.  It
doesn't support scim or other wide-character data entry.  It's
not very configurable.  There are LOTS of bugs because the code
paths are different based upon how you move around the grid...
Basically, it's a pile of spaghetti that's hard to maintain and
still has lots of issues.  I haven't actually looked at the
register-rewrite branch to see how the new register looks compared
to the current register, but I can certainly see lots of benefits to
using the GtkTreeView.  But as you say, we need to make sure we don't
have any regressions in functionality with the upgrade..  But I can
certainly see how the change could easily provide for additional new
features that the current implementation just can't easily do.