Slightly smarter date parsing?

Jamuraa jamuraa at base0.net
Mon Jan 8 19:00:14 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, David Hampton <hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 08:26 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:09:34PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG > > me too! but it only crops up once a year. How long after 1/1 are
> > people still entering 12/xx items? Granted, I routinely enter 50+
>
> Why not just type "xx[" to get the date you want?  I.E. For 12/27 you
> would type the three characters "27[".  A single number is assumed to be
> a day in the current month, and then the left bracket character
> decrements the month by one.

I can tell you why I don't type it that way:  I never knew that you
could use it that way.  Granted, I don't go reading a ton of docs for
programs that I use, the manual is about the last place that I look.
I don't think I'm strange in this regard[1].  Also, from a usability
standpoint, I'm usually reading it off of either a statement or a
receipt.  I know that I can type just the month and day from other
times of the year, so I am in the habit of leaving the year out.  I
personally don't really care too much if the consensus is to not
change the behavior, I just thought "hey, this is something I can hack
pretty easily".

I'm also willing to code up any behavior that's chosen on -- gnucash
is something I use a lot and anything I can do to help. :)

1: ...http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000062.html

--
Michael Janssen --- Jamuraa --- jamuraa at base0.net --- jamuraa at debian.org