documentation error

J. Alex Aycinena alex_aycinena at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:49:44 EST 2007

>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:26:57 -0600
>From: Josh Powell <josh at joshpowell.net>
>Subject: Re: documentation error
>To: gnucash-devel at lists.gnucash.org
>
>Okay...I see the explanation in 3.1.  I still don't like it, but am
>willing to not call it an error, and agree to disagree.  Sorry for
>the WOB.
>
>JP
>
>---
>Josh Powell
>josh at joshpowell.net
>

>On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Josh Powell wrote:
>
> > Hello-
> >
> > Section 2.2 "Data Entry Concepts" of the user's guide has an
> > error.  This sentence:
> > "Observe that we have one entry for depositing (debiting) the
> > Expense:Groceries account, and one entry for withdrawing
> > (crediting) from Assets:Checking Account."
> >
> > confuses debit and credit.  Debit is a withdrawal, credit is a
> > deposit.
> >
> > Thanks for a great project and especially impressive documentation.
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > ---
> > Josh Powell
> > josh at joshpowell.net

The use of debit and credit in this text is correct from an accounting point
of view; however the use of the term "depositing" with an expense account is
not good usage, at least in English. A debit to an expense account is a
"charge" to the account. A better way of saying it would be:

"Observe that we have one entry for charging (debiting) the
Expense:Groceries account, and one entry for withdrawing (crediting) from
Assets:Checking Account."

Josh - you may be thinking that a "credit is a deposit" because when you
deposit money in your checking account, the bank "credits" your account -
that is true in their books but not in yours. They credit your account
because your account is a liability in their books - they owe you that
money. But it is an asset in your books - sort of like a receivable from the
bank - so you have to debit the asset to increase its value. The opposite
holds for a withdrawal.

Alex Aycinena