Compiling/linking

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 31 14:17:26 EST 2007

Hi,

Quoting Andrew Wood <andrew at gn.apc.org>:

> The errors I get are below. It seems like there must have been some
> problem when the initial directory structure was created, as
> /opt/gnucash/lib simply doesn't exist. Why would that happen?

I only see one error below, and the error is that you can't install
into /opt/gnucash/lib.  Most likely this is because you didn't
chown the directory to yourself and instead installed as root.  If
that's the case, you'll need to do the same thing now.

> Initially when I built gnucash then I missed off the prefix from this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash
>
> Later I built it with the prefix.
>
> Could that explain it?

Well, that could certainly explain SOME things.  Did you "make uninstall"
before you changed the prefix to /opt/gnucash?  (I'm assuming you performed
a make install at some point before that).

> Andrew
[snip]
> /opt/gnucash/lib/libgnc-backend-file.so
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
> `/opt/gnucash/lib/libgnc-backend-file.so': Permission denied
> make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

This is the only error I see: Permission denied.  Which means,
well, you don't have permission to write to that directory, probably
because you, well, don't have permission.  ;)