Auto-Saving implemented in r16227 (to become 2.1.5) - Feedback wanted

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Wed Jul 4 00:28:37 EDT 2007

keith <keith at bellairs.org> writes:

> A little problem I have with this idea is that it takes several minutes
> to save my file. With > 16K transactions, there is just too much data to
> grind out. I need to get my data into a database, I think. Of course I'm
> just using a 1.8 GHz P6. It would help if I had a modern computer.

Ouch.

OK, that gives me an idea--add another option to wait until Gnucash is
idle n minutes before auto-saving. That way, Gnucash will auto-save
while you're making coffee, for example.

For me, saving takes about four seconds. It's not enough to cause
hardship, but it would be a pain while I was actively entering
transactions. So, I might imagine a configuration like "(every 5
minutes or 10 transactions) and 1 minute idle".

That said, I would take auto-save over original file over no auto-save
at all. But it sounds like it would still be a good idea to keep an
alternate implementation in the queue.

Huge kudos, as always, to the Gnucash team for keeping us Windows
free.

For you Yanks, happy Fourth!

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD