updated gnucash's french translation : fr.po

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Jul 22 04:33:31 EDT 2007

Hi Stéphane,

thank you very much! This is great work.

Am Samstag, 21. Juli 2007 22:43 schrieb Stéphane Raimbault:
> I finished to update the French translation!
> It was a really huge work, it will be nice if :
>
> 1 - ;-o) you can reduce the number of strings  (more common sentences,
> reducing details in errors messages, ...)

Sorry, but this won't work. In fact the situation has already been improved a
little, as I am both a translator and a developer. But especially the details
in error messages are indeed intentional. These shouldn't be reduced; rather,
in some error situations we still give too little detail in our messages. We
try to unify sentences where possible, but granted, gnucash is just a very
very very large project.

> 2 - in many translation tools (I use Emacs), we can follow the string
> in source code but it's not often possible in GnuCash (many languages,
> big file with translations from guile source) so it's hard to know in
> which context strings are used.

I know:
* The glade strings are marked as originating from a .glade.h file; you would
have to manually open the corresponding .glade file.
* The guile strings are marked as originating from the
intl-scm/guile-strings.c; if you open that file, each string is prepended by
a comment that points to the original (scheme/lisp) source file. Without line
numbers, though.

> In French, it's important to know if
> the string is an action (verb on button) or a description (tooltip).
> Example:
> # messages-i18n.c:139
> #: ../src/gnome/dialog-sx-editor.c:186 ../src/gnome/glade/price.glade.h:22
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/register.glade.h:85
> #: ../src/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-sx-list.c:122
> #: ../src/gnome-utils/gnc-main-window.c:221
> #: ../src/gnome/window-reconcile.c:2035
> #: ../src/report/report-gnome/report.glade.h:17
> msgid "_Edit"
> msgstr "É_diter "

Yes, this is the same problem with German, too. It's an English peculiarity
that the verb and noun are identical. In this case, "Edit" is used always as
a verb, never as a noun.

> must have a context information (Q_, etc) to separate verb (button)
> and passive form (main menu title).

Yes, we already try to do that. However, there are two problems: 1. Some
translators still don't know about the existence of the context information
and will do something wrong here, and 2. the glade files don't support the
context information so far.

> One question:
> #. %s is the name of the weekday
> #: ../src/engine/FreqSpec.c:829
> #, c-format
> msgid "Bi-Weekly, %ss"
>
> If second 's' is here to use the plural form, could you add a comment
> for translators?

Oops. @jsled: If this should indeed be the plural form of the weekday, then
this string is fundamentally broken from an i18n POV - you can't do it this
simple in languages other than english. Many weekdays have plural forms that
are built differently from each other in other languages. This string should
be changed into "Bi-Weekly, each %s"

Thanks for this translation!

Christian