updated gnucash's french translation : fr.po

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jul 24 19:45:13 EDT 2007

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:
>> One question:
>> #. %s is the name of the weekday
>> #: ../src/engine/FreqSpec.c:829
>> #, c-format
>> msgid "Bi-Weekly, %ss"
>>
>> If second 's' is here to use the plural form, could you add a comment
>> for translators?
>
> Oops. @jsled: If this should indeed be the plural form of the weekday, then
> this string is fundamentally broken from an i18n POV - you can't do it this
> simple in languages other than english. Many weekdays have plural forms that
> are built differently from each other in other languages. This string should
> be changed into "Bi-Weekly, each %s"

Does not the translator effect the whole string?  I was thinking that the
translator would (not) use the trailing-s version depending on if it was
appropriate for the translation.

I could certainly add more detail in comments; I've started to do that with
strings I've added recently.

FWIW, the FreqSpec code is dead, and will be removed at some point.  At the
same time, there's basically-equivalent code in Recurrence, now.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}