GnuCash 2.1.3

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jun 5 15:43:25 EDT 2007

Christopher Olsen <colsen01 at comcast.net> writes:
> Some business features not supported ?
>
> Built from source on my Gentoo box, config options:
> ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnucash --enable-hbci --enable-ofx
>
> Run as root cause I was lazy and did not want to setup a test account.
> Do not want the 2.1.3 stuff messing with my normal user login and data ;-)

I'd guess that confusion between the libraries installed in /usr/local/ and
/usr/ is part of the problem.

As a Gentoo user, I'd recommend:

1/ using quickpkg to bundle up a binary of your 2.0.5 install.

2/ using the 2.1.x ebuild mentioned at
   <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Gentoo#via_Portage> to build 2.1.3 "normally".

3/ maybe using quickpkg to bundle up 2.1.3 if you want to bounce back and
   forth.

4/ using emerge -k to quickly switch between 2.0.5 and 2.1.3

Alternatively, don't manually build into /usr/local/, but instead
/opt/gnucash-unstable/ or something; that's been shown to work better than
/usr/local/.

(Note that I had the 1.9.x ebuild into /opt/${P}, specifically so that the
"stable" install in /usr/ wouldn't be affected.  This was more trouble than
it was worth, given that quickpkg exists. :)

As for using the root user (vs. a normal user account) to sandbox ~/.gnucash/
... well ... that's the case either way, I suppose.

> Run as:
>   /usr/local/gnucash/bin/gnucash --log log.ger.path=debug
>
> Not sure that is the correct option to enable the logging the --help
> option is not real clear.

The 'log.ger.path' is intended to be replaced by the name of a specific
logger that you want to control (like "gnc.engine" or "gnc.gui.dense-cal" or
something).  If you just generally want more info, use '--debug' instead.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}