Generic importer:QIF

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Jun 22 07:08:09 EDT 2007

Hi Chintan,

please remember to CC gnucash-devel on all replies.

Quoting Chintan Agarwal <chintan.agarwal at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the prompt reply. So importing from any format now essentially
> involves parsing it and passing on the parsed object to the generic
> importer.

Yes, exactly.

> The front-end, of course has to be taken care of separately. I
> actually got confused when I saw import-parse.c in /src/import-export. Does
> this actually parse all the formats(as it has to be generic)? I understand
> the post parsing part, as all the formats are then on a common footing and
> the same code can be used for mapping etc. However, I could not understand
> the generic parser part.

I don't think the functions of import-parse.h are used anywhere at
all. Basically you can ignore that file. The mainly interesting parts
of the "generic importer" is in import-main-matcher.h; you probably
don't need much else than that.

> Also, if we have all the code generic( i.e. deals
> with all the various formats), what would be the difference between various
> branches(OFX, HBCI, QIF etc.)?

Again, import-parse.h is currently unused. The different
sub-directories all create a Transaction* and pass it to the functions
in import-main-matcher.h.

> PS: I just hope I code enough to have bugs in them ;)

Heheh.

Christian