A coding challenge wants you

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Fri Mar 16 12:37:13 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2007, 13:27 -0800 schrieb vr.sundar:
> I'm still doing the Windows build and ran into a couple of problems.
> One is something with wget which terminates while trying to reconnect
> (something to do with the -c option). This is kinda okay as I can get
> it download by just rerunning the program or I download it using some
> other download manager.

I have not yet had problems with wget, but you are right, you can use
another download manager.  You might want to take a look at smart_wget
in win32/functions and change it accordingly.

> The other is that after the build runs for a
> while, it usually quits with some error like "fork: permission denied"
> or something like that. I have a copy of hte errors saved in my home
> machine and will post it later today.  For the second, my guess what
> that it was using up too much memory but terminating the process and
> trying again usually has no effect. That is, it ends immediately with
> the same problem. I I usually have to restart Windows.

Did you kill all `sh.exe' processes running?  Again, they do not eat my
memory.  Maybe it is not that tasty ;-)

> So far I've had
> to restart my machine while building probably around 5-10 times. At
> this point, the last time I ran it, it was building goffice. (my
> machine: Windows XP MEdia Center, dual core pentium processor -don't
> remember the exact stats - with 1 gig of ram.

I do not know of (read: forgot) stories of builds on multi-core
machines.  Maybe MSYS is not that stable on them?  I do not know.

> I usually have a couple
> of anti-virus/anti-spyware programs running. I turn these off -
> sometimes I forget- before I run the build)

Yes, I boosted my builds from "have I started it already" to "come back
tomorrow" by turning off my personal firewall software.

> I'll try again this weekend and if my build gets done over the
> weekend, I'll like to give it a shot. Otherwise, I don't want to hold
> you up. How does that sound?

If you want to take a look at it, I am the last one to stop you :)  Feel
free to visit us on IRC[1].  Good luck!

> Sundar

-- andi5

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC . Most of the devs lurk there when
the sun is shining in the US (or whenever they are awake).