A coding challenge wants you

vr.sundar vr.sundar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:38:37 EDT 2007

Andreas,

On 3/16/07, Andreas Köhler <andi5.py at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not yet had problems with wget, but you are right, you can use
> another download manager.  You might want to take a look at smart_wget
> in win32/functions and change it accordingly.

I did but not in detail. I think I need to understand wget better.A
quick look at the man page did make things any clearer for me
specifically why is it trying to truncate the file. Fyi, this is a
sample error msg:

****
17:58:53 (6.91 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 3087945. Retrying.

--17:58:53--  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.10/gtk+-2.10.9.zip
  (try: 2) => `c:/Sundar/projects/gnucash/tmp/gtk+-2.10.9.zip'
Reusing connection to ftp.gnome.org:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

Continued download failed on this file, which conflicts with `-c'.
Refusing to truncate existing file
`c:/Sundar/projects/gnucash/tmp/gtk+-2.10.9.zip'.
****

> Did you kill all `sh.exe' processes running?

Yes, I did kill all the sh.exe processes.

> ...  Again, they do not eat my
> memory.  Maybe it is not that tasty ;-)

Maybe :-). That observation is from watching the available physical
memory in the task manager.  I'm not sure how valid that is, but fork
usually fails when that goes down to about 50M. (It is usually about
550M when I start the build). The error message is something like
this:

****
      0 [main] sh 72436 sync_with_child: child 73524(0x6F0) died
before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
   5957 [main] sh 72436 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
../libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
../libtool: fork: Permission denied
../libtool: fork: Permission denied
../libtool: fork: Permission denied
../libtool: fork: Permission denied
      0 [main] sh 71908 sync_with_child: child 71992(0x69C) died
before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
   7335 [main] sh 71908 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
../libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[2]: *** [libgsf-1.la] Error 128
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Sundar/projects/gnucash/tmp/libgsf-1.14.3/gsf'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Sundar/projects/gnucash/tmp/libgsf-1.14.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

****

Over the weekend, I tried a few times to build gnucash on my Windows
system and it didn't get past goffice. For now, I've kinda given up.
Since the build seems to like my system's memory, I decided to feed
the hungry beast and get some more :). I've been thinking about that
for a while and just decided to order some more. I'll try again after
I get more ram. So please go ahead with your plans to work on this.

> > (my
> > machine: Windows XP MEdia Center, dual core pentium processor -don't
> > remember the exact stats - with 1 gig of ram.
>
> I do not know of (read: forgot) stories of builds on multi-core
> machines.  Maybe MSYS is not that stable on them?  I do not know.

Maybe. Also, I was confusing this system with another system. This is
still a dual-core system but has a Athlon 64 X2 not a pentium.

> If you want to take a look at it, I am the last one to stop you :)  Feel
> free to visit us on IRC[1].  Good luck!

Yes, I will sometime. Also could you or anyone else point to some
other small task that I can work on in my linux system.

thanks
sundar