[Inquiry]GNUCash SoC - Implementing Undo

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Tue Mar 27 13:52:14 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 02:07:03PM -0300, Peter Selinger wrote:

> I agree with Derek that operations should be undone in the order in
> which they were performed, i.e., at the book level, not the account
> level.

I'll add my "me too" here.  With splits it gets particularly
complicated.  One of the things I most want to undo in GnuCash
happens when I'm editing a complicated split and as part of
that process I change (accidently or not) the account that I'm
using to view the split at the time.  The whole thing suddenly
dissappears and I'm left with a "what just happened?" feeling --
I know something's wrong but it takes me a little while to figure
out that my whole transaction just moved to another account view.

I think undo has to work at a global level.

Naming the action that is going to be undone in the menu
item is a good start -- i.e.
Undo edit transaction
Undo delete transaction
Undo import prices
Undo import QIF
Undo change report options
Undo change account name
Undo delete account

etc. This way the user has some idea of what is going to be
undone when they click that item.

The second most likely thing I want to undo is importing a
QIF or QXF file.  I've taken to using save/restore just
in case the file I import isn't the file I thought it was.

--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com