Again font size when printing (help!!!)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 28 05:45:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

"two old" <twoold at europe.com> writes:

> I have searched the net and the mailing list and all I get are unanswered
> questions. Try this or try that, sometimes it works, sometimes it won't.
> I have even found a posting of programmers saying they are giving up on
> this problem. Yes I tried to change “print-session.c” no luck, it will
> not work.

As far as I can tell, print-session.c is for checks.  I'm not sure
it's used for reports..  But honestly, I don't know.  The report code
was all written SO LONG ago that NONE of the current developers really
know it well.  Indeed, most of the developers want to rewrite the
whole reporting subsystem.  But this is a MAJOR undertaking, and might
need to pull in yet more dependencies.  There was even a discussion on
changing over to Gecko, but that would make gnucash depend on mozilla!

> I'm trying to get this to work for 4 days now and being a small-business
> owner I really do not have the time to figure this out. Its a shame
> GnuCash is a really nice program. I like using it, but printing is hell.

Indeed.  Part of the problem may be GnuCash, but I think other
parts of the problem are GtkHTML and GnomePrint, the libraries that
GnuCash uses for reporting and printing.

> Is there anyone how knows “exactly” how this printing works?
> Please programmers! I do not want feature X or option Y I just want to
> get my financial data on a piece of paper and please bear in mind that
> I'm not blind and my storage is limited, I don't want huge fonts.

I suspect the answer to your first question is "yes", but more
precisely I doubt that any of those people are still reading this
mailing list.  I do understand your pain.  Honestly, what I do when I
need to print something from gnucash is export to HTML and then load
it into firefox and print from there.

> I know that my tone of voice probably will not invite you to answer.
> Sorry for that, I need to get my frustration out. I'm feeling much better
> now thanks :-)

No problem.  I DO feel your pain!

> Now my questions. When I push the print button what happens? Which files
> are used and in what order? Where are the variables located? And
> naturally where besides “print-session.c” are font sizes defined?

Umm.......  I dont know.  Sorry.  Maybe another dev can answer you.