New reporting system (Re: Again font size when printing)

two old twoold at europe.com
Thu Mar 29 15:16:08 EDT 2007

 Hello Josh,

Please, bear with me I'm new to this type of developing so maybe I say
things that are stupid or offensive. Sorry for that.

First I agree a script should output content to a HTML template. The
template would secure the way my invoices or reports look on every update
of GnuCash or even an update of the script.

Second I don't know if and why the printing libraries should be
modernized. Maybe the printing libraries should be eliminated all
together. But that is not relevant for now. My thought on this is that
web-browser developers also put effort into developing printing
capabilities of there web-browser, so lets make use of that.

My idea is to do step one first and maybe step two later.

If we can make a script that put content into a HTML template and then
launch a web-browser to view and/or print it, this would be a huge step
forward.

Besides that, step one can be developed without interfering with the
printing libraries as they are now. I think ...........

Again I'm an end-user and a project manager as a profession so I'm
looking towards the end-result more that “the fun of doing it ourself”,
sorry :-)

So first of all I'm looking for an understanding of how this
printing/reporting/scripting business essentially works. I understand C
but I know nothing of Scheme. Nevertheless maybe I can make a start

Nicely printed invoices are important to me.

So any help on how to get started would be appreciated.

And as requested the follow up is limited to gnucash-devel.
I learn something new every day. :-D

Robert