Gnucash v2.0.5 on Fink - Printing blank invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 17 12:00:05 EDT 2007

"Graham Leggett" <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> On Thu, May 17, 2007 5:17 pm, warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:
>
>> That's a different problem.   GktHTML doesn't properly export the
>> 'align' tags.  This is a known bug in GtkHTML but there's no workaround.
>
> I remember having this problem in the v1.8 series, this bug has been
> around for a very long time - is GtkHTML still being maintained?

That's a very good question.  I don't know the answer.

>> You're thinking "CSS" Stylesheets, which is NOT what's going on.  The
>> "Stylesheet" isn't CSS based, it's something internal to gnucash, and
>> it just defines how the HTML gets formed.    GtkHTML doesn't support
>> CSS.
>
> Ok, that is making more sense.
>
> Internal to gnucash, what is the representation that is used to render and
> display (and print) the reports? Is this all GtkHTML or something else in
> addition to it?

Well...  There are the scheme reports which form a scheme structure
that uses the stylesheets to convert everything into HTML.  This HTML
is then fed into GtkHTML for display.  GnuCash also adds hooks to
GtkHTML to handle the GoG images and back-calls for things like
opening up account registers or looking at invoices by clicking on
hyperlinks in reports.

> The question I am leading on to is whether there is a more recent HTML
> library that supports modern HTML standards that might be used instead - I
> am willing to get my hands dirty in the code, but I will need some
> guidance on what the solution should be first.

Well...  We've discussed other options.  One potential approach is to
change out GtkHTML for something like Gecko.  Granted, this would add
a build dependency on Mozilla, which might suck for those building
from sources..  But it's at least something to think about as an
option.  I have no idea how that would affect building on Win32 or
Mac.  But if you want to look into that (or other HTML renderers), I'd
certainly encourage you!  As would other devs!  :)