ChangeLog generation (was: GnuCash 2.1.2 Released)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 22 15:45:10 EDT 2007

Quoting Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>:

>> Make ChangeLog a target of "dist", perhaps i the dist-local-hook,
>> so that it's built during the "make dist"?   Or is that too late?
>
> I don't understand how that would work. ChangeLog is also necessarily
> a target
> of "make install", which means it should be a target of "make" (let alone it
> already is a target of "dist"). How would that help in this issue?

Ahh, so the ChangeLog needs to exist to build from SVN, too?  Didn't
catch that before.  *thinks*

I wonder if part of the issue is that "ChangeLog" is copied into the
distdir before "NEWS", and it's copied without trying to preserve
the timestamp (e.g. cp, not cp -p).  So in the install tree the ChangeLog
IS older.

MAYBE we should key the ChangeLog rebuild off of BUILDING_FROM_SVN?  I.e.:

if BUILDING_FROM_SVN
ChangeLog: NEWS
	$(SVN) log -v --xml -r HEAD:15287 http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash | \
	  $(XSLTPROC) --stringparam strip-prefix "gnucash/trunk" \
	  --stringparam include-rev "yes" $(srcdir)/macros/svn2cl.xsl - > $@
endif

Then it will never try to rebuild the ChangeLog from a tarball build.