Fwd: World friendlier printable invoices

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Tue Oct 2 11:48:12 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:03:29AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> As I've said over and over, the REAL answer is to integrate
> e-guile and then invoices could be an HTML-template with embedded
> guile, instead of a scheme program that happens to generate HTML.
> I'm still waiting for someone to offer to implement that.  :-D

Just for the record, and because, as you point out, this has been
repeated several times...

I agree that the solution is an html templating system.  However,
there are many better examples than eguile, if one is willing to use
a scripting language other than guile.

I, for one, would not recommend anyone actually attempt to integrate
e-guile, as that is essentially equivalent to writing and maintaining
our own templating system.  Also, I think it's very unlikely that anyone
will ever get it to do anything impressive.

Instead, if there is anyone interested, I would recommend that they
adapt the swig .i files to the popular scripting language of their
preference, and use the popular templating system of their choice.
This is a far better engineering decision, IMO, and far easier to do,
also.  It's probably about 80 hours work to the initial working system
for someone already familiar with the relevant tools.

If I only had the time...

-chris