RFC: Server disk slowly failing, I plan to replace it using tip jar.

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Sat Oct 6 19:02:27 EDT 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:

> Sorry, let me rephrase...  I need to replace the existing 512MB DIMM
> with a 1GB DIMM to take the box from 1.5GB to 2GB, which is the Max
> (according to crucial.com, whom I DO trust with these things).  So
> I need a 1GB PC2700 2.5CAS non-buffered, non-ECC DIMM, which is about
> $50.

With that much memory in a server, non-ECC seems rather a risk.  A new
Dell 3.0Ghz Pentium-D dual core 2G ECC ram 2x250G SATA is about $700 delivered
in the continental US (SC440).  (Just bought one for home - very quiet.)  Then
there are older SC400 models on ebay and such - typically 2.8Ghz Pentium 4.
Maybe if the tip jar gets big enough? (...goes to get wallet...).

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>