Warning - new GnuCash Version in Ubuntu

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 23:36:46 EDT 2007

Wanted to give you folks a heads up on the latest Ubuntu port
because you may be fielding a bunch of questions.  Sometimes
folks overreact.

Todays updates for Ubuntu 7.04 has a new version on GnuCash
if the user has the Backports repository enabled.  This will take
the user from 2.0.5 r15617 to 2.2.1 r16462.  Initially they will
notice the following:

1. If they have GnuCash on their panel or in a drawer the icon
will be gone.  That's because it changed.  Obviously simply remove
the "shortcut" and replace with the new one located in Applications/
Office.  No you didn't lose GnuCash.

2. When you start GnuCash it will not find your data.  Obviously
simply File/Open.  Your data isn't gone.

3. The opening reminders are different.  Actually no, just more info.

4. A new report appears as a default,  "Balance Sheet" but my Account
Summary report is missing.  Open Reports/Account Summary.

I am sure you know all of this.  However, I wanted to share the
first experience with you  - there will certainly be more - but I won't
bother you with it.  Just trying to prepare you for the Chicken Little
user outcry.

Thank you for all of your hard work
-rich