Problems building 2.2.1 (svn) on openSuse 10.3

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Oct 15 13:36:20 EDT 2007

Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2007 09:33 schrieb Davide Imbeni:
> svn version of Gnucash 2.2.1on openSuse 10.3 on a x86_64 arch.
>
> 1 -- First issue (solved, maybe in the wrong way): after successful
> ./configure, make stops with error
>
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib64/libpopt.la' or unhandled
> argument `/usr/lib64/libpopt.la'
> make[5]: *** [libgnc-qof.la] Error 1
>
> With respect to openSuse 10.2 (where I was able to build gnucash), the
> differences in 10.3 are: libpopt.la is missing, and all libpopt.so* are
> located in /lib64 instead of /usr/lib64. I just copied the old (10.2)
> libpopt.la in /lib64, changed libdir=/usr/lib64 to libdir=/lib64 in its
> last line and simlinked it to /usr/lib64.
> Since I have a VERY faint idea of what .la files actually do: was this
> correct? dirty? any better solutions/suggestions?

Your solution was correct. Some -devel package of opensuse seems to rely on a
file libpopt.la to exist. Somehow the opensuse packagers forgot to create a
package that installs that file. But .la files are really doing only very
little; copying like what you did is one possible solution, although it could
have gone wrong as well. As an eventual solution, opensuse should provide a
package that contains libpopt.la; on opensuse 10.2 there was popt-devel, but
in the new version this might be called differently.

> 2 -- The above allowed make to continue compiling... for a while.
> Next error, on which I'm currently stuck, is:
>
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> engine-helpers.c: In function 'gnc_generic_to_scm':
> engine-helpers.c:2161: warning: passing argument 1 of
> 'SWIG_Guile_NewPointerObj' discards qualifiers from pointer target type

As josh already explained: That's a warning that is introduced by the newest
gcc and/or newest swig packages and we currently don't have an easy way to
fix it. Please use --disable-error-on-warning.

Christian