Problems downloading stock quotes [RESOLVED] possible security issue

Richard Geddes rich.geddes at verizon.net
Wed Oct 17 15:02:49 EDT 2007

Phil,

Do you mean that F::Q works like the browser?  When you ask the browser
to get a quote, you get all the advertising with it, and so when F::Q
gets a a stock quote, F::Q also gets the advertising... and can't
complete the transaction without making a connection to the advertising
website?

I re-applied the ad blocker, and with my browser, was able to get a
quote for RHAT AMD from the yahoo website successfully.  When I tried "
gnc-fq-dump yahoo RHT AMD" from the command line and it failed.  This
leads me to think that F::Q does not work like the browser... it looks
like F::Q needs to have name resolution for a set of advertisers on that
ad block list.  My web browser also responds the ad blocking aliases in
the hosts file.

I used yahoo, usa, nasdaq as sources and got consistent results.

Richard