Fwd: Enable non-capitalized wiki pages? (was: [gnucash-de] Neue gnucash.org Wiki-Seiten)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 22 08:56:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

Quoting Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>:

> Derek, Josh,
>
> as you've probably noticed some people from gnucash-de have started German
> pages in the wiki. Similar to the static web page, we've tried to put the
> wiki pages all under the main "directory" de/; however, the MediaWiki
> software didn't like a lower-case "de" and instead made a "De/" out of this.
>
> Turns out that LocalSettings.php of MediaWiki should have an option
>
>  $wgCapitalLinks=false;
>
> that should enable lower-case page names. According to
>
>  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgCapitalLinks
>
> this option has been around for quite some time already.
>
> If you have some time, could you try whether this option could be switched on
> (i.e. set to "false") so that we can have the German pages in the wiki
> under "de/"? Unfortunately I don't know the implications of changing this
> setting on existing pages such as "svn" and the links to those, but I think
> this can be checked quite quickly.

Yes, this option could get turned on, however there's a big warning
with it about how links could get broken and how links would be completely
case-sensitive:

/**
* Set this to false to avoid forcing the first letter of links to capitals.
* WARNING: may break links! This makes links COMPLETELY case-sensitive. Links
* appearing with a capital at the beginning of a sentence will *not* go to the
* same place as links in the middle of a sentence using a lowercase initial.
*/
$wgCapitalLinks = true;

Are we sure we want to live with that?  Are you willing to go through each
page and check all the links and make sure none got broken?

> Regards,
>
> Christian

-derek