Swig Docs (was Re: OK to add swigified function to core-utils?)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 09:06:45 EDT 2008

"Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:

>         True.  HOWEVER it does look like swig has some built-in documentation
>         capabilities.  (See <http://www.swig.org/Doc1.1/HTML/
>         Documentation.html> )
>         According to that we can generate HTML documentation (although it
>         doesn't look QUITE as nice as doxygen)
>
>     Cool. This looks promising. I'm going to play with it and see what
>     happens.
>
> It turns out that for what you are talking about, you have to go back to SWIG
> 1.1 (and some people do just that, purely for documentation-generation
> purposes).
>
> It seems that SWIG 1.3 cannot produce HTML documentation. SWIG now only
> generates Guile-specific documentation files of the form required by the
> (ice-9 documentation) module. This would be fine if Guile (or some other
> utility) could then generate usable documentation from that, but I haven't
> found anything that fits the bill.

UGGH.  What a PITA and huge regression.  Well, maybe we DO need to make
the .i files look like something that doxygen can read?  Seriously,
tho, we really should have the guile docs in the .i files, not the .h
files.

* sighs *