gnc_detach_process assertion failure

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Tue Apr 15 02:32:07 EDT 2008

Hi Charles,

Am Montag, den 14.04.2008, 19:30 -0700 schrieb Charles Day:
> When starting GnuCash once recently, I saw the following in the trace file.
> The first two lines I have come to expect, but the rest are new to me.
> Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the behavior. On the next start,
> everything was fine. Does any of this look familiar? The CRIT warning seems
> to be generated by line 1262 of src/app-utils/guile-utils.c.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles
>
> *   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 1911 bytes.
> The identifiers might not be very random.
> *   CRIT <gnc.app-utils> gnc_detach_process: assertion `proc && proc->pid'
> failed
> *   WARN <GLib> gmain.c:436: MsgWaitForMultipleObjects() failed: The handle
> is invalid.
> ... continues on and on, until you exit GnuCash ...

this seems to be the same output as
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-September/021699.html .
I still have no clue what is wrong with our code and I have never been
able to reproduce it.  I suspect that there is some race condition when
spawning perl, but that is all I have, I am sorry.  If you have the
chance to reliably reproduce this behavior, please take the time to
track it down :-)

Thanks,
-- andi5