Wording of the announcement

Conor O'Neill conor_lists at puddle.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 13:06:35 EDT 2008

Andreas Köhler wrote:
 >       GnuCash 2.2.5 released
 >
 > The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.5 aka
 > "Do what I mean", the fifth bug fix release in a series of stable
 > releases of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software.
 >

 >       Getting GnuCash
 >
 > GnuCash 2.2.5 can be downloaded from gnucash.org or sourceforge.net.
 > It is available as source code.  For the Microsoft Windows operating
 > system there is a self-installing setup program which includes all
 > necessary additional libraries.
 >
 > To install GnuCash on other platforms, users will need Gnome 2, guile,
 > and slib.  Neither the currently used swig nor the previously used
 > g-wrap packages are needed anymore when compiling from tarball or when
 > installing a binary.

Very well done to all involved.

Could I perhaps suggest a minor change to the wording of this
announcement for future releases. The current wording seems to imply
that the Microsoft Windows version of the main release, and the 'other
platforms' are an afterthought.

How about something like:

Getting GnuCash
GnuCash 2.2.5 can be downloaded from gnucash.org or sourceforge.net. It
runs on most flavours of Linux, together with Mac and Microsoft Windows.
It is available as source code.  For many Linux distributions, pre-built
packages are available. For the Microsoft Windows operating
system there is a self-installing setup program which includes all
necessary additional libraries.

Hope this helps, Conor O'Neill

--
Conor O'Neill, at home in Bristol, UK