Income/Expenses report

Tim Vail jlyertv at fastmail.us
Mon Dec 22 03:03:50 EST 2008

I was doing some work improving the performance of the reports.  Actually, I
have 3 reports for which the performance has substantially improved, one of
them is attached (cash flow).  The other, I'd rather clean up some more
because it bypasses some of the normal report functions and I'd like to look
into it more in depth.

Attached patch should improve the cash flow report by a factor of 7 or so (19
sec to 2-3 sec for me).

Anyways, while I was doing some research on what people working on the SQL
backend were saying, here's what I saw:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel%40gnucash.org/msg21775.html

When I read that, I realized I had fixed that, and decided I should include
the part that takes care of that in this patch.  This part of the patch
doesn't really improve report performance, but it does eliminate double
query.  I have a more exhaustive patch to the net worth barchart (the
income/expenses chart report is affected by that) that improves performance
from 8 sec to almost instantly.  But that is the part I'd like to clean up
some more first.

This patch is svn diff against the trunk.

-Tim
P.S. I'm not currently subscribed to this list