error building gda branch

Graham Menhennitt graham at menhennitt.com.au
Sat Feb 2 18:08:15 EST 2008

Greetings Gnucash developers. I've been using Gnucash for a year or so
and thought I'd try testing the gda branch. I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy
and have installed all the dependencies via Adept. I've checked out the
gda branch from SVN. When I run autogen.sh, I get the following:

    $ ./autogen.sh
    Creating /po/POTFILES.in ...
    Creating /aclocal.m4 ...
    Running glib-gettextize --force --copy ...
    GnuCash note: Please ignore the output of glib-gettextize below!
    Copying file mkinstalldirs
    Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

    Please add the files
      codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
      progtest.m4
    from the /aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
    or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
    You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

    GnuCash note: Please ignore the output of glib-gettextize above!

    Ensure aclocal.m4 is writable ...
    Ensure po/POTFILES.in is writable ...
    Running intltoolize --force --copy ...
    You should update your 'aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
    Running libtoolize --force --copy ...
    Running aclocal  -I macros ...
    configure.in:51: warning: macro `AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2' not found in library
    Running autoheader...
    Running automake --add-missing --gnu  ...
    ... lots of warnings about "probably a GNU make extension",
    "non-POSIX variable name", and "`:='-style assignments are not
    portable" elided...
    **Error**: automake failed.

If I then run configure, I get:

    $ ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/X11R6/bin/install -c
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for perl... /usr/X11R6/bin/perl
    checking for XML::Parser... ok
    ./configure: line 4072: AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2: command not found
    checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking locale.h usability... yes
    checking locale.h presence... yes
    checking for locale.h... yes
    checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
    checking libintl.h usability... yes
    checking libintl.h presence... yes
    checking for libintl.h... yes
    checking for ngettext in libc... yes
    checking for dgettext in libc... yes
    checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... yes
    checking for msgfmt... /usr/X11R6/bin/msgfmt
    checking for dcgettext... yes
    checking if msgfmt accepts -c... yes
    checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/X11R6/bin/msgfmt
    checking for xgettext... /usr/X11R6/bin/xgettext
    checking for catalogs to be installed...  ca cs da de el en_GB es_NI
    es eu fr hu it ja nb ne nl pl pt_BR pt ro ru rw sk sv ta tr uk zh_CN
    zh_TW
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/X11R6/bin/install -c
    checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
    checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/X11R6/bin/ld
    checking if the linker (/usr/X11R6/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking for /usr/X11R6/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
    checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/X11R6/bin/nm -B
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
    checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
    checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
    checking for dlfcn.h... yes
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
    checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
    checking for g77... no
    checking for xlf... no
    checking for f77... no
    checking for frt... no
    checking for pgf77... no
    checking for cf77... no
    checking for fort77... no
    checking for fl32... no
    checking for af77... no
    checking for xlf90... no
    checking for f90... no
    checking for pgf90... no
    checking for pghpf... no
    checking for epcf90... no
    checking for gfortran... no
    checking for g95... no
    checking for xlf95... no
    checking for f95... no
    checking for fort... no
    checking for ifort... no
    checking for ifc... no
    checking for efc... no
    checking for pgf95... no
    checking for lf95... no
    checking for ftn... no
    checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
    checking whether  accepts -g... no
    checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 98304
    checking command to parse /usr/X11R6/bin/nm -B output from gcc
    object... ok
    checking for objdir... .libs
    checking for ar... ar
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for strip... strip
    checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
    checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
    checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
    checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
    checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
    checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/X11R6/bin/ld) supports shared
    libraries... yes
    checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
    checking for shl_load... no
    checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
    checking for dlopen... no
    checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
    checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
    checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
    checking whether to build static libraries... no
    configure: creating libtool
    appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
    checking for ld used by g++... /usr/X11R6/bin/ld
    checking if the linker (/usr/X11R6/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/X11R6/bin/ld) supports shared
    libraries... yes
    checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
    checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
    checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
    checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
    checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/X11R6/bin/ld) supports shared
    libraries... yes
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
    appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
    checking for library containing strerror... none required
    checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
    checking limits.h usability... yes
    checking limits.h presence... yes
    checking for limits.h... yes
    checking sys/times.h usability... yes
    checking sys/times.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/times.h... yes
    checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
    checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/wait.h... yes
    checking for stpcpy... yes
    checking for memcpy... yes
    checking for timegm... yes
    checking for towupper... yes
    checking for setenv... yes
    checking for native Win32... no
    checking for Win32 platform in general... no
    ./configure: line 22698: STRUCT_TM_GMTOFF_CHECK: command not found
    ./configure: line 22699: SCANF_LLD_CHECK: command not found
    ./configure: line 22720: syntax error near unexpected token `1.3.28'
    ./configure: line 22720: `  AC_PROG_SWIG(1.3.28)'

Version are:

    autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
    automake (GNU automake) 1.10

Does somebody know what I've done wrong.

Thanks,
    Graham