testing the book zeroing code (maybe for backport?)

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Tue Feb 5 08:29:10 EST 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 11:22:59 am Manfred Usselmann wrote:
> Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org> schrieb am Sat, 2 Feb 2008 08:37:42
>
> -0500:

> > > I'd say yes for back-port. I haven't tested this myself, though, but
> > > compared to other features we have in 2.2.x it is probably complete
> > > enough.
> >
> > Unless it's changed from the last time I tried it at the end of
> > December, I'd recommend against backport. Adding features that are
> > "probably complete enough" isn't a good idea, IMO.
>
> What exactly needs to be changed from your perspective to make it good
> enough? As far as I remember the discussion in December, there was
> no serious issue open? Or did I miss something?
>
> This function would be very useful for me to close 2007. Currently I
> didn't do it manually because I was hoping the function would be
> available in the near future. So I would love to see it in 2.2.4.

My main complaint with it is that, for my data file, it takes what seems like
a long time to complete, and it offers no feedback to the user that something
is happening during that time. While that's not a game breaker, it adds a
level of unfinishedness that, IMO, shouldn't appear in the branched release.

So, no, that's not a big deal, and I wouldn't complain if the dev's decide to
backport the feature. I just don't think the feature currently has the same
level of completeness that the rest of gnucash has. But, that's just my
opinion and it's worth every penny that you've paid for it.

Tim
--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1 Fedora