GDA interim benchmarking synopsis

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 14 15:09:26 EST 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> SQLite and MySql are completely opposite as to which queries perform
>> well and poorly.  That's why I want to see if I can adjust the queries
>> and indices to do better.
>>

> I'm really beginning to wonder if we need to write special SQL
> based on the database we're using in order to tune the performance
> because of issues like this?  Yes, I know that that sort of defeats
> the purpose of using a library like GDA, but if GDA can't form
> an optimal query then it might behoove us to do the right thing
> rather than hope they do.

I hope not, but we are talking not about minor differences in
performance, but orders of magnitude.  I was absolutely floored at
MySql's performance with sub-queries.  I do have a couple of things to
try with it, though:
1. creation of a secondary index on slots.obj_guid
2. There is a section of the MySql manual on optimizing this stuff.
Maybe it has something helpful.

>> I may take a break from this to see about patching the PostgreSQL
>> provider to test it, too.
>>

> -derek

Mark
Mark