Feature request from German list: Disable editing of transactions

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Feb 16 03:18:03 EST 2008

Am Freitag, 15. Februar 2008 23:50 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> > a gnucash mode of operation
> > where the user can not edit older transactions anymore
>
> You would definitely want to set this per account, because some accounts
> in gnucash are authoritative (eg accounts dealing with the issuing of
> invoices), but other accounts track some external account source, such
> as a bank account. It would be pretty useless if you were prevented from
> correcting errors while reconciling a bank account.

Makes sense, but do you have any ideas how such a per-account setting can be
implemented in the GUI? Currently, all per-account settings can be set in
the "Edit Account" dialog. However, a setting "Make this an inalterable
account" shouldn't be allowed to be disabled again in the GUI, as this would
make the whole setting moot. Do you think the "Edit Account" dialog should
get a button to enable that behaviour? Or do you think this should somehow
show up in the "Create New File" wizard? Both would require GUI actions of a
kind that are not yet implemented there.

Also, from an implementation point of view it's not clear to me which kind of
editing should be allowed for transactions that contain one split in an
inalterable account and another one in an editable account. Some fields like
the transaction date are a per-transaction field (as opposed to per-split) -
should those fields be allowed to be edited or not?

Christian