GDA Missing records in SQLite

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Feb 24 14:08:37 EST 2008

Phil Longstaff wrote:

> The providers allow it, GDA allows it, but not all of the GDA providers
> use the facilities.  I couldn't find any sqlite3_bind_xxx() calls in the
> GDA sqlite provider, for example.
>
> I agree that the gda backend should change to using the libgda parameter
> functions, but I shouldn't have to do that to work around this problem,
> which is a bug in libgda.

We should be very careful of coding workarounds in gnucash to "fix"
limitations in libgda. Time passes, libgda is fixed, and suddenly our
"fix" becomes our bug.

We should rather sanity check the backend when we start, to make sure
that certain basic sane defaults are supported. For example, we might
(and probably should) require prepared statement support. If prepared
statement support is missing for that backend, that backend should be
greyed out (with some hint to the user as to why).

Then - as soon as libgda releases a backend that fits our requirements,
gnucash suddenly supports that backend.

This is significantly safer in the long term.

Regards,
Graham