GDA Missing records in SQLite

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sun Feb 24 14:33:54 EST 2008

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Phil Longstaff wrote:
>
>> The providers allow it, GDA allows it, but not all of the GDA
>> providers use the facilities.  I couldn't find any sqlite3_bind_xxx()
>> calls in the GDA sqlite provider, for example.
>>
>> I agree that the gda backend should change to using the libgda
>> parameter functions, but I shouldn't have to do that to work around
>> this problem, which is a bug in libgda.
>
> We should be very careful of coding workarounds in gnucash to "fix"
> limitations in libgda. Time passes, libgda is fixed, and suddenly our
> "fix" becomes our bug.
>
> We should rather sanity check the backend when we start, to make sure
> that certain basic sane defaults are supported. For example, we might
> (and probably should) require prepared statement support. If prepared
> statement support is missing for that backend, that backend should be
> greyed out (with some hint to the user as to why).
>
> Then - as soon as libgda releases a backend that fits our
> requirements, gnucash suddenly supports that backend.
>
> This is significantly safer in the long term.
> --
There is a function to query the backend to see what features it
supports, but prepared statements is not in that list.  Also, if we
require prepared statements, that might cut out the sqlite backend
because a libgda modification to use it might not propagate out far
enough.  I know Derek wants to see the xml gnucash file replaced by a
sqlite db, so we need to be really sure it is unusable before we
disqualify it.

Phil