Improving internal report identifiers

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Jan 1 13:38:12 EST 2008

--On December 31, 2007 4:46:27 PM -0800 Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:

> I think its a task I can definitely handle in terms of coing it up,
> but I want to make sure I get some guidance on
>
> 1) whether it should be done at all (I think so)?

I think this is a good idea.  It would probably also fix 461468.  That
bug occurs because Gnucash strips out all non-alphabetic characters
(including numbers) when generating the internal ID from the report
name.  It also might fix 447339, although that sounds slightly
different.

> 3) how to handle the saved reports. specifically, how to get the user
> to actually go in and fix the things -- do they need to edit the file
> by hand? can they just resave the report and have it overwrite the old
> one (ideal solution, but I don't think that works ATM)? can we
> implement something to one-time-deal translate those reports into YA
> saved-reports-2.2 file?

If a saved report doesn't have an internal ID could you generate one on
the fly?

       Mike