[patch] Update README files for Debian dependencies

Jerry Quinn jlquinn at optonline.net
Tue Jan 1 14:43:49 EST 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:50:32AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:26:13PM +0100, Andreas Köhler wrote:
>>> Hi Jerry,

>>> I really wonder whether this type of information should only be held at
>>> the GnuCash wiki as it tends to become outdated pretty easily.
>> I second that. It should be stored there, but... can it be scraped
>> from there somehow to keep the README's up-to-date? I'm thinking of
>> the poor sap with 28k dialup trying to build it and not having easy
>> access to that list while building. (I know a lot of Debian users work
>> off the install CD's (there's like 20+ of them) and wanting to build
>> when *not* on line). It's a pretty small set of people, I'm sure, but
>> if it could be done with relative ease, why not?
>
> apt-get build-dep
> is an easy way to get most of the dependencies for building from svn
> on debian.
> I added this tip to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
> Hints for building from svn in different distributions would be more
> likely to stay current on the wiki. I doubt people with svn write
> access refer to them very often.

moving a lot of this info to the wiki makes sense to me as well.  It's
probably safe to assume folks building from svn are online and can get
to the wiki.

There's really a few different types of dependency info being tracked
here and it might make sense to clean up the information separation to
some extent.

1) Libraries and minimum versions required to build and run gnucash
either from svn or release.  Currently in README.dependencies and
relatively slow-changing.

2) List of versions of packages available on different distributions to
know what is safe to start requiring as a minimum version.  This is
outdated and quickly changing info that should probably be in the wiki.
  It's currently in README.dependencies and I'm not so sure it's useful
to anyone but developers.  It would also be useful to have it
cross-indexed by both package name and distro.

3) Distro-specific lists of packages to install to obtain the build
deps.  This is important to anyone trying to build gnucash, especially
those trying to build offline.  This is the info that I would think we'd
like to extract from wiki to README files.  I'd hope that the relevant
info for this purpose wouldn't change too quickly for stable distros,
and for development distros, we can just periodically update the file
from the wiki.  I'm not even sure we need to automate the process as
long as people know the correct stuff to cut and paste.

I'll take a stab at transferring some of this info to the wiki and try
another pass at the README files.

Jerry