Introducing myself

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 4 12:18:57 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:02:53AM +0000, Mark Carter wrote:

> Also, personally, I don't make a distinction between realised and unrealised gains. I consider them both to be mine.

well, you're certainly allowed to do that internally, but I certainly
don't want to pay tax on unrealised gains ;)

> I think there might be scope for several models of calculating returns ;)

sure. As I said before, maybe not in quite this way, getting a library
of functions built for analyzing stock/fund data would make it
relatively easy to generate a whole series of reports that slice and
dice the information any way you want. *I* think it might be good to
break down some simpler reports that focus on just one or two aspects:
change in value, history of dividends, IRR, maybe a detailed txn
report shoing the affect on basis, gains, value etc by txn.

What we need is a standard way of examining transactions, making sure
it aligns with the documents so that users know exactly how to enter
various txns, so that predictable results can be achieved. That is my
long term goal with the commodities reporting.