Introducing myself

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Sat Jan 5 09:09:52 EST 2008

Andrew Sackville-West schrieb:
>> I think there might be scope for several models of calculating returns ;)
>
> sure. As I said before, maybe not in quite this way, getting a library
> of functions built for analyzing stock/fund data would make it
> relatively easy to generate a whole series of reports that slice and
> dice the information any way you want.

Well, if we want to add yet another external dependency (OK, I admit it
is not so bad any more as it was in the early gnome days ;-)),
QuantLib (http://quantlib.org/) may be worth a try.

> *I* think it might be good to
> break down some simpler reports that focus on just one or two aspects:
> change in value, history of dividends, IRR, maybe a detailed txn
> report shoing the affect on basis, gains, value etc by txn.

I like this approach.

> What we need is a standard way of examining transactions, making sure
> it aligns with the documents so that users know exactly how to enter
> various txns, so that predictable results can be achieved. That is my
> long term goal with the commodities reporting.

I agree.

 Herbert.

Herbert Thoma
Head of Video Group
Multimedia Realtime Systems Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-323
Fax:   +49-9131-776-399
email: tma at iis.fhg.de
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/